The Prehistoric Age
It is assumed that people would have lived in the area forming clan settlements since the prehistoric age.
- Presumed to have belonged to the confederacies of Byeon(弁)han and Jin(辰)han
- Jinhangye Geungiguk: Sanyang-myeon (township) region at present
- Jinhangye Horoguk: Hamchang, Jeomchon, Hogye region
- Byeonjingosunshiguk: Hamchang region (possibly part of Mungyeong city was included)
- Byeonjin-mirimidongguk: Hamchang or Yonggung (possibly part of Mungyeong city was included)
The Three Kingdoms Era
- 505 AD (the 6th year of the King Jijeung): Confirmed Shilla regional rule
- Gwanmun-hyeon or Gwan-hyeon, or Gosagali-seong: Mungyeong, Maseong region at present.
- Gahae-hyeon: Gaeun, Nongam region
- Hocheuk-hyeon or Baesan-seong: Jeomchon City and Hogye-myeon area
- Geunpum-hyeon, Geun (or Geon), and Pum (also called Ahm): Sanyang, Sanbuk area
- Godongram-gun or Goneung-gun: Hamcheon-eup, parts of Jeomchon and Hogye-myeon area.
- Chuksan-hyeon or Wonsan: Yonggung area. Included parts of Youngsun-myeon
- Nansan-hyeon: Dongro region and parts of Sanbuk-myeon
Unified Shilla Dynasty
- 757 AD (the 16th year of the King Gyeongduk) reorganized local system: 9-ju, 5-sogyeong, 117-gun, 293-hyeon
- Gwansan-hyeon: Formerly Gwan-hyeon or Gwanmun-hyeon: Mungyeong and Maseong area which were territories of Goryeonggun (古寧郡: Hamchang at present).
- Gaseon-hyeon: Formerly Gahae-hyeon: Gaeun and Nongam area which were territories of Goryeonggun.
- Hogye-hyeon: Formerly Hocheuk-hyeon: Part of Jeonchon and Hogye-myeon area which were territories of Goryeonggun.
- Gayu-hyeon: Formerly Geunpum-hyeon or Geunam-hyeon: Sanyang and Sanbuk area which were territories of Yecheongun.
- Ahnin-hyeon: Formerly Nansan-hyeon which was the territory of Yecheongun, Dongro-myeon and old Hwajang-myeon.
The Koryo Dynasty
- 983 AD (the 2nd year of King Seongjong): established 12-mok in the whole country
- Munheegun: Gwansan-hyeon in the reign of King Gyeongdeok of Shilla, became a subject hyeon of Sangju-mok
- Gaeun-hyeon: Gaseon-hyeon in the reign of King Gyeongdeok of Shilla, became a subject hyeon of Sangju-mok
- Hogye-hyeon: Not changed from the name in the Shilla era.
- Sanyang-hyeon: Gayu-hyeon in the reign of King Gyeongdeok of Shilla, became a subject hyeon of Sangju-mok
- Youngsun-hyeon: Youngsunbugok was raised in status into Youngsun-hyeon, and became a subject hyeon of Sangju-mok
- Ahnin-hyeon in the reign of King Gyeongdeok of Shilla (Dongro-myeon and old Hwajang-myeon) was relinquished under Yecheongun
- The 2nd year of King Gongyang (1390 AD): Dispatched gammu (public officials) to Mungyeonggun
- Gaeun-hyeon: Changed from a subject eup (township) of Sangju to a subject eup of Mungyeong
The Chosun Dynasty
- 1414 AD (the 14th year of King Taejong): completed 8-do (province) system
- Gammu of Mungyong-hyeon were replaced by Hyeongam, and Hogye-hyeon was annexed.
- Gaeun-hyeon is a subject hyeon of Mungyeong-hyeon, and Sanyang and Youngsun-hyeon are subject hyeons of Sangju
- 1892 (the 32nd year of King Gojong): raised in status to Mungyeongdohobu
- May 26th, 1895. (the 35th year of King Gojong): 8-do system was reorganized to 23-bu, and local administration system was unified into Gun from Bu(府), Mok(牧), Gun(郡), and Hyeon(縣) (In this period, Mungyeonggun ceded to neighboring counties such as Sangju, Younggung and Yecheon etc.)
- Aug. 04, 1896. (The first year of Geonyang): 23-bu system was reorganized to 13-do, and Mungeonggun was reestablished
- Jan. 19, 1906: Dongro-myeon and Hwajang-myeon of Yecheongun were incorporated into Mungeonggun
- Sep. 24, 1906: Sanseo, Sannam, Sandong, Sanbuk and Youngsun-myeon of Sangjugun were incorporated into Mungeonggun
The Modern Age and Current
- Apr. 01, 1914: Seo-myeon of Yonggung-gun and part of Dong-myeon of Hamchang-eup were incorporated, forming the present administrative district system (11-myeon, 129-ri).
- 1933: Under Gyeongsangbuk-do ordinance 33, Sanbuk-myeon merged with Mungyeong-myeon (10-myeon, 129-ri)
- Mar. 10, 1949: Mungyeong-gun town office moved from Sang-ri, Mungyeong-eup to 232, Jeomchon-ri, Hoseonam-myeon
- Jul. 08, 1956: Hoseonam-myeon was raised in status to Jeomchon-eup (law no. 393)
- Jan. 01, 1963: Samsong-ri, Nongam-myeon was incorporated into Cheongcheon-myeon, Goesan-gun
- Aug. 30, 1963: Established Mungyeong-myeon Galpyeong branch office, Gaeun-myeon Bukbu branch office and Dongro-myeon Supyeong branch office (gun regulation no. 53)
- Sep. 05, 1963: Established Sanbuk-myeon Geosan branch office (bylaw no. 54)
- Sep. 03, 1968: Gun town office moved to a newly built location; 59-2, Mojeon-ri
- Jul. 01, 1973: Bongjeong-ri, Hogye-myeon was incorporated into Sanyang-myeon (Presidential decree No.3789), and Mungyeong and Gaeun were raised in status to eup (Jeoeum-ri, Ian-myeon was incorporated into Gaeun-eup) (Presidential decree No.6543)
- Jan. 01, 1986: Jeomchon-eup incorporated Byeolam 2-ri, Hogye-myeon, and was raised in status to Jeomchon City (law No.3798)
- Jan. 01, 1989: Part of Yunjik-ri, Hamchang-eup, and Sangju City was incorporated into Jeomchon City
- Jan. 01, 1995: Jeomchon City and Mungyeong-gun were unified and became Mungyeong City (law No. 4774)
- Feb. 08, 1996: Sanbuk-myeon Geosan branch office and Dongro-myeon Supyeong branch office were closed.
- Jan. 01, 1999 : Established Sinpyeong-dong merging Singi, Daesung, Gongpyeong-dong
- Jan. 01, 2004: Jeomchon-dong, Jungang-dong, Sinheung-dong, Sinpyeong-dong, and Mojeon-dong were changed into Jeomchon-1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 dongs respectively.
This QR Code contains information on the History and Origins page