▣ Location: Sangcho-ri, Mungyeong-eup, Mungyeong city (E128, N36)
▣ Size: 5,494㎢
▣ Cultural Assets and Heritage
- Mungyeong Gwanmun (historical site No. 147)
- Mungyeongsaejae 'Yet-gil' (scenic site No. 32)
- Sin Gilwon Hyeongam Chungyeol shrine (local tangible cultural asset No. 145)
- Juheulsan and Joryeong Gwanmun area (local monument No. 18)
- Joryeong Sanbuldyosim, a fire caution sign made of stone (cultural heritage material No. 226)
- Yeokwon: Joryeongwonteo, Donghwawonteo
- Pass: Yeongnamdaero
- Temples: Hyeguksa, Yonghwasaji, Bojaesaji, Anjeongamji, Eunseonamji
- Grave markers: Seojeongbigun, Maaebi, Tarubi, Huihobi, Arirangbi, Yetsibi
- Other ruins: Chungyeolsa, Gyoguijeong, Seonghwangsa, Dongmun, Bukmun, Degweolteo, Ijinteo, Gunmakteo, Byeoljangso, Dongchangji
- Okso Gwoenseop Portrait (Cultural heritage material No. 349)
▣ Natural Heritage
- Mountain peaks: Bekdudegan Range (Haneulje~saejae~Ihwaryeong), Juheulsan, Jeoryeongsan, Bubong
- Waterfalls (pokpo): Yeogungpokpo, Yongchupokpo, Jogokpokpo
- Valleys: Gireumteulbawi, Madangbawi, Yongchu, Eungam, Sajabawi, Bucheobawi
- Mineral springs (yaksu): Joryeongyaksu, Jogokyaksu, Degweolteosem
▣ Mungyeongsaejae Origin
Mungyeongsaejae is highest and toughest hill to hike on the Yeongnamdaero, which connects the Han River and Nakdong River area over Joryeong Mountain on the Bekdudaegan range. It has long been regarded an important region for social, cultural, and economic distribution as well as a strategic military location. Saejae means the hill is so high, even birds find it difficult to overcome. Ancient texts also refer to it as a grassy (eoksae), forested hill, hence Saejae. Also it is situated between Haneuljae and Iwoorijae, thus earning it another name, Saejae (the hill in between), or the new hill.
After the Imjin (1592) Japanese invasion, Mungyeongsaejae was designated as a military stronghold with three gateways - Juhulgwan, Jogokgwan, and Joryeonggwan (historical site No. 147).
Mungyeongsaejae has splendid scenic views and is famous for its historical heritage and folk tales and songs. Historical remains such as Wonteo (sites of vagabond accommodations) and Gyogwijeongteo (a site where antecedent Gyeongsang provincial governors transferred their administrative stamps to their replacements), restored in 1999, are located here. Also found here is a Sanbuldyosim relic, a fire caution sign made of stone (cultural heritage material No. 226). The entire area is the historical site of the Imjin Japanese invasion, General Sinrip, the historical legends of the Donghak sect and patriotic militia, as well as various historical folk tales. Accordingly the region was designated as a local monument (No. 18) in 1974 and protected as a provincial park in 1981, making it an increasingly popular tourist destination.
▣ Mungyeongsaejae 3 Gateways Introduction
Juheulgwan - Yeongnam Gateway No.1
Yeongnam Gateway No. 1 (or Juheulgwan) was built in 1708, the 34th year of the reign of King Sukjong, to defend against enemy attacks from the south. There are three front sections and two side sections with two side doors. The archway (hongyaemun) is 3.6 meters high, 3.4 meters wide, and 5.4 meters thick. The door (daemun) is 3.6 meters high, 3.56 meters wide and 11 cm thick. Left and right of the archway, the rampart is 4.6 meters high, 3.4 meters thick, and 188 meters long. The wall is 1 to 3 meters high, 2 to 4 meters thick and 500 meters long to the east, 400 meters long to the west. There are 2 floodgates. Of the three gateways, this one most closely resembles the original structure.
Jogokgwan - Yeongnam Gateway No.2
Gateway No. 2 was built by Sin Chungwon from Chungju in 1594, the 27th year of the reign of King Seonjo and it is also called Jungseong (middle gate). During the reign of King Sukjong the old wall was renovated. Doors (Jodongmun and Juseomun) were installed on Gateway 2, while offices were installed on Gateway No. 1 (Chogokseong) and Gateway No. 3 (Yeongseong). Later on, in 1907, the damaged parts of Jodongmun and Juseomun were restored. After the restoration the name Joeongmun was changed to Jogokwan. The gatehouse has three front sections, two side sections, two side doors on the left and right, and a Paljak roof (named for its resemblance to the Chinese character for the number eight, 八). The archway is 3.6 meters high, 5.8 meters thick, the door is 3.6 meters high, and 3.6 meters wide and 11 cm thick. The rampart left to right 4.5 meters high, 3.3 meters thick and 73 meters long. The wall left to right is 2 meters high, 2 to 3 meters thick and 400 meters long to the east and 100 meters long to the west.
Joryeonggwan - Yeongnam Gateway No.3
Gateway No. 3 is located at the top of the Saejae hill. It was built to defend against enemy attacks from the north early in the reign of King Seonjo and renovated in 1708, the 34th year of King Sukjong's reign. In 1907 it was damaged and burnt down, leaving only the rampart footing. In 1976 the archway and 135 meters of the rampart and the gatehouse were restored. The gatehouse has three front sections and two side sections, two side doors on the left and right and a Paljak roof. The archway is 4.5 meters high, 3.2 meters thick and 185 meters long. The wall is 2 to 3 meters high, 2 to 3 meters thick, 400 meters long to the east, and 400 meters long to the west. The door is 3.9 meters high, 3.56 meters wide and 19 cm thick.
This QR Code contains information on the Mungyeongsaejae Provincial Park page